Ricky Martin sues his nephew for $20 million
The Puerto Rican singer demands financial compensation for extortion, malicious prosecution, abuse of rights, and damages.
MORE IN THIS SECTION
A $20 million lawsuit was filed in the San Juan Superior Court of First Instance in Puerto Rico by Puerto Rican singer Ricky Martin against his nephew, as first reported by People. It comes after Martin's nephew accused him of sexual assault — a case that was later dropped.
"The situation has continued despite the fact that the defendant voluntarily withdrew from an action he had brought against the plaintiff based on falsehoods, during which he admitted under oath that he had never been sexually assaulted by the plaintiff," the artist's lawyers wrote.
They said that Martin has lost million-dollar contracts and future projects because of the damage to his reputation. It's why the damages in the follow-up case have been valued at $20 million. The lawsuit also claims the payment of interest, expenses and attorney's fees.
In early July of this year, Dennis Sanchez Martin, nephew of the artist, accused him of domestic violence, reason enough for police to issue a restraining order against Martin under Law 54, which protects victims of harassment or abuse.
The nephew argued that he feared for his safety because he had refused to maintain a romantic relationship with Martin, who in addition to calling him also followed him around his house.
The singer denied all the accusations he was accused of, and no further details were known at the time. Shortly after, his brother, Eric Martin, said that it had been his nephew "with mental problems" who had filed the complaint.
July 21 was the date chosen for the hearing that saw them confront one another in court, however Martin's lawyers issued a statement saying that the lawsuit was withdrawn.