The Donald plans to sue Univision for 'a tremendous amount of money'
Donald Trump, one of the latest GOP presidential hopefuls, told ABCNews he plans to sue “for a tremendous amount of money” after Univision announced it will not air the Miss USA pageant because of the derogatory comments he made about Mexican immigrants.
On Thursday, Univision, the biggest Spanish-language broadcaster in the United States, stated it was "ending the company's business relationship with the Miss Universe Organization, which is part-owned by Donald J. Trump, based on his recent, insulting remarks about Mexican immigrants."
Last week, in Trump’s speech announcing his presidential candidacy, he stated that immigrants from Mexico who "have lots of problems" are "bringing those problems to us." He also asserted that: “They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists," adding, "and some, I assume, are good people."
"At Univision, we see first-hand the work ethic, love for family, strong religious values and the important role Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans have had and will continue to have in building the future of our country," the company said. "We will not be airing the Miss USA pageant on July 12 or working on any other projects tied to the Trump Organization."
Let us not forget a Mexican multimedia mass media company, the largest in Latin America and the first of Spanish-speaking world, Grupo Televisa, S.A.B. happens to also own 38 percent stake of Univision with much of its programming airing in the United States through an exclusive contract.
NBC also released a statement distancing itself from The Donald over his racist comments.
"Donald Trump's opinions do not represent those of NBC, and we do not agree with his positions on a number of issues, including his recent comments on immigration," NBC said in a statement.
Also both co-hosts of Miss USA 2015, Puerto Rican actress Roselyn Sanchez and Chilean actor Cristian de la Fuente, have stepped down from their roles due to Trump's anti-immigrant speech, USMAGAZINE reported.
"I was very excited and proud to have been invited to participate in Miss USA, but as a Latina, that is now inconceivable," Sanchez added in a statement. "Although I am not Mexican, I am Puerto Rican and a proud Latina, and his comments were an insult to our culture. I won't sponsor anything produced by Donald Trump."
De la Fuente also took to social media to explain his decision for pulling out of the pageant, posting a video on Facebook.
Mr. Trump, As a #Latino I cannot work in an event associated with your name. The statements you made against Mexicans and immigrants show that you are ignorant. It is unacceptable to launch your presidential candidacy creating rhetoric of hatred and discrimination in calling Mexicans drug traffickers and rapists. It's a shame that such an important institution as #MISSUSA is now in the hands of a clown " See more at http://goo.gl/hdj3cVDonald J. Trump Como latino no puedo trabajar en un evento asociado a su nombre... las declaraciones que hizo contra los mexicanos, contra los inmigrantes, demuestran que es un ignorante. Es inaceptable que se lance a la presidencia creando una retórica de odio y discriminacion al tildar a los mexicanos de narcotraficantes y violadores... Es una pena que una institucion tan importante como MISS USA este hoy en manos de un payaso
Posted by Cristian de la Fuente on Thursday, June 25, 2015
Trump told Fox News on Thursday that his standing by his statement adding "I love Mexico, I love the Mexican people."