Andres Guardado's Coroner's Autopsy Confirms what we already know
After an independent autopsy, the Los Angeles Coroner’s office confirmed what the family found on their own: That that their son was shot five times and died as a result.
Andres Guardado was only 18 years old when Los Angeles PD deputies shot into his back five times. His family has been looking for answers since then, having an independent autopsy done when the LA County Medical Examiner delayed the release of its official autopsy.
When it finally did release the official review, the manner of death was already certified a homicide by Guardado’s family attorney.
After Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva put a security hold on the autopsy report claiming they needed “further investigation” to go forward, Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jonathan Lucas rebelled and released it anyway on the evening of July 10.
In addition to the five gunshot wounds, the autopsy showed Guardado also had two graze wounds on his forearms.
“In doing so, I have given careful consideration to the major variables in this case -- supporting the administration of justice, as well as the public’s right to know. I do not believe that these are mutually exclusive ideals,” Lucas said in a statement following the report’s release
Sheriff Villanueva however was not thrilled about the news.
He claimed it broke protocol and could affect the investigation around Guardado’s death.
“This move will now force the Sheriff's Department to use court orders to enforce security holds that exist for only one purpose -- to prevent tainting witness testimony prior to interviews,” added the Sheriff.
Still, after over a month, with two released autopsies, the names of the deputies involved in the shooting have not been released.
The case leads to more questions. Both deputies were not wearing body cameras because there are not enough funds to equip all officers in the department according to Sheriff Villanueva.
Congresswoman Nanette Diaz Barragan and Maxine Waters, Southern California Democrats called on state Attorney General Xavier Becerra to conduct a full investigation, though he has yet to respond.
On July 13, the unnamed deputy who fired the gun will be interviewed according to a source familiar with the matter that told ABC News.