Salvadorans are not welcome either in Canada
After the Donald Trump administration put an end to the Temporary Protected Status of hundreds of thousands of Salvadorans, Canada has taken steps to prevent a…
MORE IN THIS SECTION
Apparently, the new immigration measures of the White House are a headache for its neighboring country, Canada.
Although the government of Justin Trudeau opened its doors to all refugees from Muslim countries that were rejected in the United States during the past year, his response now to Central American immigrants who have lost their Temporary Protected Status (TPS) has been radically different.
As the Washington Post reported, the Canadian government has announced plans to send Pablo Rodríguez, a Spanish-speaking member of Parliament, to California over the next few days to address community groups, lawyers and Latino media to deliver the following message: if you don’t qualify as a refugee or asylum seeker, don’t attempt to cross into Canada.
"Canada has a robust and structured immigration system that must be respected," Rodriguez (Argentina-born) told the national newspaper La Presse in an interview. "Before leaving your job, pulling your child from of school and selling your house to come to Canada, make sure you understand the rules and laws. Because if you don’t fill these criteria, chances are you’ll be returned, not to the United States, but to your native country."
The response of the Canadian government has been blunt, especially after the massive flow of Haitians across the New York-Quebec border, which included more than 250 people who moved "irregularly" through the rural routes of the area, creating a crisis situation that led to the temporary construction of refugee camps and the opening of the Montreal Olympic Stadium as a temporary accommodation center.
In the same way, the assistant of the Minister of Immigration, Hursh Jaswal, assured that immigrants who need protection would be allowed to stay, while the others will be "removed" from the country. He also assured that "only 8% of the asylum applications made by Haitians in Canada last year were accepted", while the great majority remaining are still waiting for a hearing.
According to the figures reported by the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., 14,467 people crossed the border with Canada irregularly during the first nine months of 2017, of which more than half were citizens from Haiti.
Faced with this phenomenon, the Canadian Minister of Immigration, Ahmed Hussen, said in a press conference on Tuesday that the government has put a preventive plan in place, in case the Salvadoran citizens decide to take similar measures.
"We are not being complacent," he said. "We are making sure we are prepared for any eventuality, including a future influx of asylum seekers crossing our border irregularly and, in that regard, we are using the lessons that we learned in the summer to do so.”