The nominees of the 2021 AL DÍA Archetypes
Out of a field of 30 candidates, 10 will be named the inaugural recipients of the Ambassador Manuel Torres Award on Sept. 24.
MORE IN THIS SECTION
Since 2016, AL DÍA has hosted an annual celebration of America’s Hispanic Heritage.
While Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated in the U.S. from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, the year-round mission of AL DÍA is to showcase and honor Hispanic individuals doing great things, not often discussed in the media.
In past years, AL DÍA has normally honored 4-5 individuals as honorees of the annual event, classified as “archetypes” — the opposite of stereotypes.
This year, 10 archetypes will be honored with the 2021 AL DÍA Archetype: Ambassador Manuel Torres Award.
The 30 total nominees are distinguished in the following categories:
- Public service
- Performing arts
Three nominees have been named in each category. Here are the nominees:
- Philadelphia Archbishop Nelson Perez
- Chief Federal Court Judge Juan Sánchez
- President and CEO of Latino Victory Project, Nathalie Rayes
- LCDA CEO Esther Aguilera
- HACR CEO Cid Wilson
- ALPFA CEO Damián Rivera
- U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona
- President of Thaddeus Stevens College Pedro Rivera
- PA Secretary of Education Noe Ortega
- Executive Chairman of United Airlines Oscar Muñoz
- Ford Board Member Kimberly Casiano
- Vice President Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at AARP, Yvette Peña.
- Director of Rockway Equity Partners Maria Contreras-Sweet
- Former Comcast Chief IT & Security Officer & Spirit Airlines Board Member Myrna Soto
- Pinnacle Chair, CEO & Owner Nina Vaca
- Anaheim Angels Team Owner Arturo Moreno
- President, Chief Executive Officer and Alternate Governor of the Arizona Coyotes Xavier Gutierrez
- American professional soccer player and captain at the Philadelphia Union Alejandro Bedoya
- Curtis Institute of Music CEO Roberto Diaz
- Singer Amara La Negra
- Philadelphia Ballet, Artistic Director Angel Corella
- Knight Foundation President Alberto Ibargüen
- Philadelphia Foundation CEO Pedro Ramos
- Philadelphia Inquirer Executive Editor Gabriel Escobar
- Connecticut Public President/CEO Mark Contreras
- CNN Anchor Ana Cabrera
- Distinguished University Professor of Epidemiology at School of Public Health and Director of the Drexel Urban Health, Ana Diez Roux
- Professor of Clinical Emergency at the Perelman School of Medicine (PSOM) at the University of Pennsylvania Iris Reyes
- Neurosurgeon, author, and Professor and Chair of Neurologic Surgery and runs a basic science research lab at the Mayo Clinic Jacksonville in Florida Dr. José Hinojosa
The final selection of the 10 recipients of the 2021 AL DÍA Archetype: Ambassador Manuel Torres Award will be finalized by co-chairs of the 2021 AL DÍA Archetypes gala, Judge Nelson Diaz, director at PECO and partner at Dilworth Paxson, LLP; and Peter Longstreth, president of Consular Corps Association.
The final selection of honorees will be announced in the coming week.
The 2021 AL DÍA Archetype Hispanic Heritage Gala & Awards Ceremony is set for Friday, Sept. 24, 2021 at the Union League of Philadelphia. To reserve your seat at the premier celebration of America's Hispanic Heritage, click here.