Amid pressure to resign, L.A. Councilmembers Cedillo and De León removed from committee assignments
Acting City Council President Mitch O’Farrell, made the announcement Monday, Oct. 17.
MORE IN THIS SECTION
In the aftermath of the Los Angeles City Council scandal, in which racist remarks were made about constituents, colleagues, and the child of a colleague, remaining Councilmembers Kevin De León and Gil Cedillo have not resigned from their posts even after the resignations of former Council President Nury Martínez and Ron Herrera, former president of the California Federation of Labor. With the others gone, both are now the focus of the calls to resign from other city officials, President Joe Biden, and countless other advocates.
In the lead up to the L.A. City Council meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, Oct. 18, Acting City Council President Mitch O’Farrell announced during a news conference on Monday that both Councilmember Cedillo and De León have been removed from their committee chairmanships as well as from committee assignments altogether.
O’Farrell also said that council rules say that “councilmembers must remain on one committee,” and added that his office is “ironing out these details and will provide full communication to my colleagues later today.”
“These members have lost all credibility, all standing,” O’Farrell said during the news conference.
De León is chair of the committee on poverty and homelessness and also plays a role on committees in relation to finance, public works and environmental issues. Cedillo is in charge of the housing committee in addition to serving on committees overseeing immigrant rights and environmental issues.
O’Farrell also vowed during the new conference to guide the city through this tough time and urged the councilmembers to resign. This also follows a weekend of marching from the Oaxacan community as well as Black Lives Matter protestors camping outside of De León’s home in Boyle Heights.
“For Los Angeles to heal, and for its city council to govern, there must be accountability. The resignation of councilmember Nury Martinez is the first, necessary step in that process,” he said last week. “To that end, I repeat my call on Councilmembers De León and Cedillo to also resign. There is no other way forward.”
Cedillo is “reconciling his feelings about this transgression and understood the gravity of the moment,” O’Farrell said.
In addition to this, he said he had not spoken to De León since last Tuesday “despite my best efforts,” but is urging him again today to resign, and has told the councilmember that he should not attend any future council meetings. O’Farrell also added that Cedillo will not be attending Tuesday’s virtual meeting.
Cedillo’s office also told Spectrum1 News SoCal’s Kate Cagle yesterday, Sunday, Oct. 16, that Cedillo is “at a place of reflection” and is unavailable for comment.
During tomorrow’s Council meeting, they are expected to select a new president as O’Farrell has reiterated he is not looking to be the permanent head of City Council.