MLB and T-Mobile sign long-term contract to bring more 5G experiences to fans
The contract brings new and exciting ways fans will be able to interact with games.
MORE IN THIS SECTION
T-Mobile and the MLB recently signed a new six-year contract that will utilize the 5G network to bring new and attractive ways for fans to interact with baseball.
With the new contract, T‑Mobile will be the official wireless partner of Major League Baseball (MLB), Minor League Baseball (MiLB), and Little League Baseball and Softball through 2028.
Mike Sievert, T‑Mobile’s CEO, said:
T-Mobile and MLB are embarking on a six-year journey to deliver breakthrough fan experiences, and it’s all thanks to our leading 5G network.
The ways T-Mobile will enhance fan experiences are as follows:
- It will work with the MLB to test the Automated Ball-Strike System (ABS) with a private 5G cellular network from T-Mobile at select games this season.
- It will continue as title sponsor of the T‑Mobile Home Run Derby during MLB All-Star Week.
- It will partner with the MLB network to bring back the fan-favorite T-Mobile 5G batting practice show for the T-Mobile Home Run Derby and the MLB postseason.
- It will become a sponsor of the Little League Baseball World Series to strengthen its relationship with the world's largest youth sports organization.
- It will give free MLB.TV subscriptions to T-Mobile customers through T-Mobile Tuesdays, through 2028.
“We’re enhancing the game on and off the field to give fans across the country even more ways to enjoy the game we all love — on top of showing our customers love with free MLB.TV,” added Sievert.
Minor League Baseball (MiLB) benefits
During selected games this season, T-Mobile will also test ABS.
“Real-time ABS data and video will be transmitted securely to help prevent signal interference via devices and the ABS application, all powered by T-Mobile 5G. This will help ensure ultra-reliable, low latency communications as players and officials review, challenge and analyze calls,” highlighted T-Mobile.
.@TMobile and Little League International have agreed to a six-year extension as the Official Wireless Sponsor of Little League Baseball and Softball through 2028.— Little League (@LittleLeague) April 6, 2023
T-Mobile has also been named as the presenting sponsor for the 2023 Little League Baseball World Series
Programming for All-Star week
This year, Seattle's T-Mobile Park is the host of the All-Star Game and all its festivities, including the T-Mobile Home Run Derby.
Thanks to 5G, fans will be able to see footage of players warming up during the batting practice broadcast, and more news in the days leading up to the festivities.
Little League Baseball and Softball benefits
T-Mobile will continue to work with Little League Baseball and Softball communities across the country. As part of the expanded agreement, T-Mobile will also be the sponsor of the Little League Baseball World Series.
It will also continue the T-Mobile Little League Call Up financial aid program.
Since partnering with the Little League in 2019, T-Mobile has committed millions of dollars in financial aid and equipment donations, including $4.5 million to the financial aid program that allows 50,000 little leaguers to play baseball every year.