LIVE STREAMING
A university library.
The Biden administration is also reviewing other topics and more changes can happen. Photo credit: Pexels.

New restrictions on for-profit institutions

The changes are expected to take effect in the 2023-2024 academic year.

MORE IN THIS SECTION

Top 5 Journalism Books

October 4th, 2022

Remembering Ernest Robles

October 3rd, 2022

Vargas and HSF's Reach

October 3rd, 2022

SDSU Bad Bunny class 2023

October 1st, 2022

Masters in Social Work

September 30th, 2022

K-8 Scholarships

September 30th, 2022

12 Books to read this month

September 30th, 2022

School May Close in Philly

September 30th, 2022

SHARE THIS CONTENT:

According to Times Higher Education, the Biden administration has set new limits on for-profit institutions. It not only restricted its access to federal aid, but also its ability to convert to non-profit status.

Aiming to fight fraud, the new limitations concern the 90-10 rule — an American regulation that governs for-profit higher education. It restricts at 90% of revenue an institution can receive from federal financial aid sources, while the other 10% must come from alternative sources. 

When addressing the switching status issue, the new changes focus on defining what a non-profit is and establishing safe conversion procedures. Officials said this aims to avoid institutions to keep their profting powers even after becoming a non-profit, which has happened in the past.  

“[The goal is to] ensure that efforts by for-profit colleges to convert to non-profit status are genuine changes, not mere ploys to evade accountability to students and taxpayers,” said Miguel Cardona, the U.S. Secretary of Education. 

Regarding incarcerated people, the changes aim to benefit inmates to receive Pell Grants, a subsidy for low-income students in the United States. Congress had already excluded for-profits from participating, but the new rules create steps to ensure eligibility based on the best interest of the students.   

Biden’s new measures are a common revision practice new administrations do. Besides this regarding for-profit institutions, other education related topics are being discussed about financial aid and student loan payments.

 

  • LEAVE A COMMENT:

  • Join the discussion! Leave a comment.

  • or
  • REGISTER
  • to comment.
  • LEAVE A COMMENT:

  • Join the discussion! Leave a comment.

  • or
  • REGISTER
  • to comment.
00:00 / 00:00
Ads destiny link