Eds, meds and feds in Philly
Universities, hospitals and government are the largest employers in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania.
The latest lists of top employers for Philadelphia and Pennsylvania once again reveal that the city is an economic center for the state, circling around universities and hospitals. The lists from the 2nd quarter of 2013 show just how many jobs are provided by local, state and federal government, including basic and higher education.
Massive employers in the city and state not related to eds, meds and feds include grocery and goods stores such as Wal-mart, Giant, Target and K-Mart as well as corporations like Comcast, General Electric, Boeing and Vanguard. (See the full lists for Philadelphia and for Pennsylvania here).
Top five employers in Philadelphia
1. The federal government is the biggest employer in Philadelphia and all of Pennsylvania.
2. The City of Philadelphia is the second largest employer in the city and the fourth largest employer in the entire state.
3. The University of Pennsylvania is the third largest employer in the city and the fifth largest in the state.
4. The School District of Philadelphia is the fourth largest employer in the city and eighth largest employer in the state.
5. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is the fifth largest employer in the city and the 19th largest in the state.