Morales' campaign is on: 'Let the people that really have the power decide'
Surrounded by friends, neighbors, and supporters 7th District candidate Manny Morales confirmed that, regardless of the controversy surrounding him, he is still running for the primary election.
Earlier this week incumbent María Quiñones-Sánchez released over 50 pages of screenshots highlighting anti-immigrant, racist and homophobic postings alleged to be from her challenger Manny Morales’ Facebook page. She also accused the Democratic party “of endorsing a Tea Party candidate.”
“I did not make those postings, I never thought she (Quiñones-Sánchez) could do something so low. But I have a clear conscience, and even after this blow out, I never considered leaving the race,” Morales said.
Some time after the accusations were made public both Democratic leaders and mayoral candidate Nelson Díaz dropped their support of Morales.
“My campaign has been asking Manny Morales to offer concrete evidence that the allegations against him cannot be corroborated. We haven't received such evidence, and as a result I am asking Manny Morales to issue an apology and withdraw from this race," said Díaz in a public statement.
Morales said he felt hurt when he found out Díaz rescinded his endorsement. “I was sorry to hear that, but I still have a great regard and respect for him.”
Nonetheless, he is still confident he has the support from voters that will allow him to become an elected official.
“My present plan of action is to let the people that really have the power to make the decision, to get to know me and let them judge me for who I am, face to face and eye to eye,” Morales said to AL DÍA.
As far as the alleged Facebook postings, the campaign said there was an internal investigation and a lawyer working on it. “Manny is ready to focus on the issues, which are education, taxes and crime. The incumbent has yet to talk about those issues,” said José Giral, political director of the campaign.
The Morales campaign also accused Quiñones-Sánchez of having dead people’s names on her nominating petitions. Morales had copies of three petition signatures of people he said were no longer alive.
“Three signatures belong to deceased people and they are confirmed by the City’s Commissioners office, and this week we filed a complaint with the District Attorney’s office to investigate this,” Giral said.
Quiñones-Sánchez told Newsworks that the petition issue has nothing to do with her foe's Facebook fiasco.
"There should be due diligence, and that will prove that they were his postings. In addition to being a bigot, he's a liar," Sanchez told NinetyNine on Friday.