9 recipes for Three Kings Day
Three Kings Day is a big deal in the Latino community. According to the biblical story, the Three Wise Men/Magi travel for 12 days after Christmas to present gifts to baby Jesus. This Christian holiday is celebrated annually on Jan. 6.
Celebrators usually eat a special kings cake or bread for the holiday. The ring-shaped sweet cake/bread usually has candied fruits and nuts on it, depending on the culture.
It also has a tiny doll representing Baby Jesus baked inside. In Latin American culture, it is tradition for the person whose slide has the doll in it, to host a party and prepare tamales for everyone on Candlemas Day (Día de la Candelaria) on Feb. 2.
There are many different kinds of Kings Cake and Breads. Here are a few recipes:
1. Rosca de Reyes/Three Kings Bread (Mexican) (recipe)
2. Cream Cheese King Cake (recipe)
3. Rosca de Reyes with Cranberry-Almond Filling and Eggnog Glaze (recipe)
5. Roscón de Reyes (recipe)
7. “Skinny” King Cake (recipe)
9. Bolo Rei (Portuguese King Cake) (recipe)